This page is a summary of the projects completed during college. Other projects not listed include: developing a control law to balance a double pendulum on a linear actuator, designing various artificial neural networks for tasks, designing a wing frame to be optimally loaded, and others.
Wind Tunnel Testing of the Effects of Fletching Angle on Arrow Flight
This project was for an experimental methods class in my undergraduate design. We decided to investigate whether or not the added spin from the offset of fletchings on an arrow (which was assumed to increase accuracy) would greatly impact the overall translational kinetic energy of the arrow. To do this, we created a wind tunnel test to examine the drag on the arrows. As a check to this test, I went to the NIAR (National Institute for Aviation Research) Ballistics Lab (which I was currently working in at that time) and shot some custom built arrows through velocity screens to track velocity, while using high speed cameras to capture and estimate the total rotation rate of each arrow.
High Speed Video (Arrow comes in at 1:11)
Senior Design Project- Flying Wing
This was a year long project that I worked on with 4 other team members. We began designing an aircraft in the fall of 2014 and finished by building and testing the aircraft in the spring of 2015. I personally worked on developing the propulsion system, wiring diagram, dropping mechanism (which was completely unique and never seen before in the university), and estimated cost analysis.
Investigation of Smart Materials for Aircraft Control
While working on the senior design project above, I conducted a literature review into the idea of using smart materials to control aircraft. I additionally went on the conduct a physical test on a macrofiber composite actuator to further investigate this (see smart material robotic finger simulation for more information).
Robotic Bipedal Walking Simulation
In a class designed to teach us more about using Matlab for simulation, I worked with 3 other team members to attempt to simulate the motion of a bipedal robot that had joints at the hips and ankles. We took a varied approach with 1 team member working on a baseline simulation that was very simple while the other 2 team members used Simulink to simulate robotic legs walking. I took a full equation approach and performed direct coding in Matlab in an attempt to fully simulate the system. I was unable to fully complete the force equations for total simulation and actuator input. However, this analysis proved to be the most in depth and exact in the entire class since it revealed the exact location of the hips in the robotic motion.
***I would like to come back and finish this work/clear up some bugs in the programming sometime in the future. ***
Smart Material Robotic Finger Simulation
This was a final project for a robotic simulation class which posed the concept of using MFC actuators to control a robotic finger. I attempted to incorporate data from a test that I had performed on these actuators. Unfortunately, I became stuck when trying to create one equation for deflection along the finger as a function of both voltage and length. I’ve been talking to some professors at my university about this with the hope to find a way to create the nonlinear equation that would come from the data.